How to Get Reimbursed for STARS Training
Good news! If you've taken STARS-approved in-service child care training classes as a Washington State child care provider, you're eligible for reimbursement of your class fees up to $250 each year! The Washington State Department of Children, Youth, and Families (DCYF, formerly DEL) provides eligible child care providers the opportunity for reimbursement for approved classes through their MERIT system (Managed Education and Registry Information Tool).
Here are the requirements for reimbursement:
1. Reimbursement is for annual in-service training requirements (10 hours). Other training requirements including CPR, First Aid, Bloodborne Pathogens and HIV/AIDS are not eligible for reimbursement.
2. You need to have a MERIT account with a STARS ID. Click on the MERIT account link to get started. Your MERIT account will also include verification that you're currently employed in a licensed facility.
3. You may only apply for reimbursement up to $250 once each fiscal year (July 1 - June 30). Keep this in mind as you're planning to meet your training requirements.
4. The training must be completed through a STARS-approved trainer within the previous 12 months. All of SafeGard Classes Online's child care classes are approved by DCYF/DEL for STARS credit (with the exception of CPR, First Aid, Bloodborne Pathogens, HIV/AIDS and Safe Sleep since these are not considered in-service training).
5. If you complete your classes through SafeGard Classes Online, we will add your completed classes to your Merit account for you. Please be sure to add your STARS ID # in your account in the State Registry ID box on the My Profile tab.
For more information, please go to the DCYF/DEL's training reimbursement page.